Monday, April 18, 2011

Montagnard Music and Culture

I am most interested in the Montagnard-Dega music and how it relates to their daily life. I am interested in this because while I am not a music student, I do enjoy learning about music and how it shapes and is shaped by the culture around it. I am also interested in how their instruments are created.

By reviewing the Skype call made during class, the Montagnard women said that traditional music and dance is typically done during celebratory times (New Year's, birhtday's, etc.). This website was also very helpful, describing the various instruments, how they are crafted, as well as what they are used for.

I think that in order to examine how culture plays an influence on the Montagnard-Dega culture, it would be best if I were able to talk with some of the traditional musicians within the Montagnard-Dega community.

No comments:

Post a Comment